CrossPaths Young Adult Community
CrossPaths ABF (Adult Bible Fellowship) meets Sundays @ 9:30AM in Room 110 at Cedar Hill Baptist Church. CrossPaths is a growing ministry that connects young singles, young couples & young families to Christ and one another. We encourage you to join us as we pursue Christ together through Bible fellowship and service to our community and church family.
Summer 2016 - The Book of James: True Faith
What does it mean to walk by faith? What does a life of faith look like? Do you have a living faith in the living God that affects your living?
"Living by faith is hard enough in the best of circumstances. But doing so in a hostile environment in the face of opposition, rejection and ridicule is especially challenging." That may sound like we talking about our context today… but it also describes the conditions faced by the early followers of Jesus and the recipients of James’ epistle, the earliest New Testament letter written. Over the summer months of 2016, our young adult community will study this timely and practical book that will examine, expose, and encourage our walk of faith.
Through the use of video and interactive group discussion, we will discover the relevance of James' instruction to us as well as his first century readers. Bible Teacher, Francis Chan, we help us to grasp the major themes. Check out the video trailer (here or through the link at the bottom of the page) to get a better sense of this series. And then make it a point to join in! What better way to grow this summer than to apply God's only strategy for growth — digging into His Word in the context of Community!
You may want to embrace one of the challenges we are setting before us:
1) Read the entire Book in one sitting. It should only take about 15-20 minutes.
2) Read a chapter a day (M-F), repeat throughout the summer.
3) Memorize a larger section or two of the book of James (i.e. the section on trials, 1:2-12; the section on being a doer of the Word, 1:19-29; the section on the power of the tongue, 3:1-12; the section on true wisdom, 3:13-17; the section on prayer, 5:13-18)
4) Memorize a full chapter from the Book. Choose a shorter one like Chapter 3 (18 verses) or a longer but familiar one like Chapter 1 (27 verses).
5) Memorize—for those up for a bigger challenge—all five chapters! There are only 108 verses in the entire book, so even at a pace of a verse a day, you can memorize the Book of James in just over 3 months.